« Home | Temasek Design School Going HD » | Webisode 4 Online » | Becoming Roystion - Webisode 3 | New Images and Po... » | 4:30 opens 29 June 2006 » | "What do you want to be when you grow up?" "長大后要做什... » | Becoming Trailer » | Becoming Royston » | Majulah Stickapura New Poster » | Majulah Stickapura Launched » | The Bangkok Post » 

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 

I Am Singaporean

Finally, getting a bit of time to write again. I was asked the question by an interviewer "What do you love about Singapore?". Seriously, I can't really remember what I answered, only because I was trying to translate from English to Mandarin. So now thinking back, I would have said this. “I love Singapore because it is my home. My roots are here, my friends and family are here. I was watching the BBC documentary “Singapore” and was pleasantly surprised by the many things I do not know about my own country. Why is it that we all need a foreign perspective for us to realized how interesting we really are. Singapore, as it began was a rebel, Raffles was a rebel. Yes, I would love to get jobs from all over the world and be able to travel and work – but this is my home. If you ask me if I am a stayer, I would say I am torn. We have to find the worms and bring them back to the nest. But you have to build the nest first. I will stay and make my mark, then I would like to go and stamp our mark everywhere. (see 1819Supermovement ) Dare I say most of us love our country. But we do not necessarily have to fly a flag out of our window once a year to announce our pledge. I am proud to have been educated in both English and Mandarin. When I was on a plane to New York, I am helping the old Chinese couple beside me translate to the foreign cabin crew. Ming was telling me that he has a new project in mind. A “I am Singaporean” sticker or decal. Would I paste it up, hell yes! I may not fly the flag, but a sticker, alright! “I love Singapore, but Singapore may not love me back.” said Nic Chee. I agree.

Strange but true.. I found my love for Singapore when I am away from home. Perhaps I am always reminded that I am still afterall a Singaporean and proud to be one.

Hope you are doing great for your film and business. No time to catch up with you. Catch up soon, ya. Take care.

Post a Comment